Compiling with gdc vs. gdmd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Apr 5 14:30:29 PDT 2012

On 05/04/12 20:56, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> *Confused*. The way I see it, this situation is exactly equivalent to having a
> readily-available Autotools script that relies on a proprietary Autotools?

No, because it's _contained within_ the build script.  Everything within the
build script has to comply with the license terms.

> I don't quite understand this, though. The fact that Waf sits in a source
> control repository shouldn't really matter at all. It could as well sit anywhere
> on your system; it just isn't designed for that.
>
> Is the problem here that the GPL considers Waf part of this whole thing because
> you generally ship the Waf binary in source distributions of your software?

I think that's about it.  It's contained in the build script, so it's considered
part of the build script; and therefore subject to the same terms and conditions.

By comparison, a Makefile doesn't _contain_ make; make is a separate piece of
software that's used to _interpret_ the Makefile.