D on the Raspberry Pi

Stefan Frijters sfrijters at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 09:40:46 PDT 2012

I found some time to test some more configurations: the most
recent version on the master branch combined with the 20120805
snapshot of gcc 4.8 failed with the same errors as reported
above. Using gcc 4.7.1 (both a fresh copy and a patched copy from
the debian repo) I run into a new error. The configure reports
two errors (which I didn't notice first time around) which then
leads to a compilation error later:

configure:4035: arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -V >&5
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: error: unrecognized option '-V'
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.
configure:4046: $? = 4
configure:4035: arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -qversion >&5
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: error: unrecognized option '-qversion'
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc: fatal error: no input files
compilation terminated.

Leading to (during compilation):

checking for arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc...
/home/pi/gcc-4.7.1/objdir/./gcc/xgcc
-B/home/pi/gcc-4.7.1/objdir/./gcc/
-B/opt/gdc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/
-B/opt/gdc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib/ -isystem
/opt/gdc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/include -isystem
/opt/gdc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sys-include
checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
`/home/pi/gcc-4.7.1/objdir/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot
compile
See `config.log' for more details.
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libgcc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/gcc-4.7.1/objdir'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Some googling has told me that these are definitely connected
somehow, but I don't know how exactly as my knowledge of the
process fails me here. So I guess I'm just throwing it out there
in case it will be helpful for someone else!

Cheers,

Stefan