GDC Debug info

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Wed Feb 8 14:31:49 PST 2012

Hi,

I've recently been working on integrating GDC into Visual D. Calling GDC
with a list of options is easy, the harder part is the debugger
integration: I have added conversion of the DWARF debug info to cv2pdb,
so you can use Visual Studio or any other debugger that relies on debug
information in a pdb file.

As far as my tests show, it works out quite nicely, but a few issues remain:

- there seems to be no location information for TLS variables

- there is no information about key and value type of associative
arrays, but just a ptr of type typeof(null)*. For codeview debug
information, cv2pdb reconstructs the used structure types from the types
in the D extension info, the associative array is then conveniently
shown by some visualization macros.

- class/struct names don't come with full qualification. Is this
deliberate, or an omission? It might be convenient most of the time, but
this might also confuse the debugger (e.g. when evaluating expressions)
or the pdb-server (when merging type infos).

Would it be possible to add the missing information? Or is it me who is
missing something?

Rainer