Dropping support for gcc 4.2.x to 4.4.x

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 4 07:01:02 PST 2012

On 4 January 2012 14:39, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 4 January 2012 07:14, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
>> On 2012-01-04 01:33, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>>
>>> Morning,
>>>
>>> I will be dropping support for a few older gcc versions in the next week
>>> and a
>>> bit. I was thinking removing all code for everything up to gcc-4.5,
>>> meaning
>>> gdc will no longer build with gcc 4.2.x, 4.3.x and 4.4.x releases.  If
>>> anyone
>>> has any objections, or requires continued support for these older versions
>>> of
>>> gcc, please let me know or shout up here, and I will make necessary
>>> arrangements.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Iain
>>

>> That means no support for the Apple GCC. It's stuck at 4.2, I guess they
>> putting their effort on Clang and LLVM.
>>
>> --
>> /Jacob Carlborg
>
> If I recall correctly, there are GCC binding to LLVM, are there not?
> Apple has always been a bit of a difficult system for me as I don't
> have the OS to test on (actually, this is true for Windows too).    I
> have made a new branch in the repository that is at the moment current
> and will maintain support for the older releases.  If someone wishes
> to maintain it, I have no problem there.

Also, bare in mind I will be moving GDC fully across to trunk over the
next two months, this is just a first of many stop-gaps that will need
to be done to update the code and cipher off any compatibilty hacks in
favour of adding in and utilising new GCC tree codes that may help
improve code generation.

Regards

--
Iain Buclaw