Recent changes to GDC.

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Jan 26 14:00:15 PST 2012

On Monday, 16 January 2012 at 14:42:08 UTC, Artur Skawina wrote:
> As you still cannot easily call D code from C, without the
> equivalent of
> "extern(D)", why not default to a more sane calling
> conventions, such as
> regparm on 32-bit x86?

The requirement for this kind of compatibility was simply a lie:
they were saving their efforts of supporting an extra calling
convention in the backend. Projects like gtkD prove there's no
issue with compatibility to fix. And removal of inline asm
actually lowered compatibility with existing D code itself. As a
temporary measure, that's ok (and it manifests bugs in code which
is supposed to work without inline asm), but when D is in GCC,
one can push D calling convention to the backend for the *same*
compatibility reasons "because we already have D" and get inline
asm back too. Ahaha, just as planned.