D on the Raspberry Pi

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Tue Jul 3 10:30:08 PDT 2012

Am Tue, 12 Jun 2012 17:57:39 +0200
schrieb "Sönke Ludwig" <sludwig at outerproduct.org>:

> On Tuesday, 12 June 2012 at 13:06:05 UTC, Henry Robbins Gouk
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully compile a
> > GDC cross compiler to target the Raspberry Pi?
> >
> > I tried following the instructions found at
> > http://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/crosstool-ng but when I
> > try the "ct-ng build" command I get the following output:
> >
> > [INFO ]  Performing some trivial sanity checks
> > [INFO ]  Build started 20120613.010123
> > [INFO ]  Building environment variables
> > [ERROR]  Static linking impossible on the host system
> > 'x86_64-build_unknown-linux-gnu'
> > [00:02] / make: *** [build] Error 1
> >
> > Should I continue along the path of using crosstools to make a
> > cross compiler, and if so; how? Or is there a better way to
> > achieve my end goal of having a cross compiler targeting the
> > Raspberry Pi?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help :-)
>
> I tried to build it as a cross compiler and on the raspberry
> directly - and faild at both. On the raspberry I got a compiler
> crash, and the cross compiler build process produced random
> errors - it seems to be very fragile in terms of library versions
> and such.
>
> ...so I would also be very interested in any sucess stories.

Sorry, probably a stupid question, but could the build on the PI have
died because of too little ram?

Anyway, building a compiler on the raspberry pi worked for me, although
it took a long time to build. I created a new wiki page with build
instructions:
https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/Raspberry%20Pi