What ibuclaw has been doing on his server

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Tue Jul 10 04:45:24 PDT 2012

Iain Buclaw, el 10 de July a las 09:17 me escribiste:
> >> Around April, I got myself a new server that I planned to be dedicated to all
> >> things gdc.  Initially it provided a default web page - which will soon have
> >> useful links to development, bugs, build releases for various architectures /
> >> platforms, etc.
> >>
> >> http://gdcproject.org
> >
> > Food for thought, make sure someone has automated off-site backups.
> > Protecting against single-person hosted sites and them disappearing is
> > important for long term health.  For example, Walter downloads a nightly
> > dump of the dbugs data base from my system.
>
> Will have to get that done eventually... if only there was someone who
> I can trust. :o)

You don't really need to trust anyone, what you want to backup is
publicly available anyway, right? Then you can make a tarball or
something and just publish it in some obscure path in the web. Then
anyone willing to do a backup only have to download that tarball. If is
not too big, you could also open a gmail account and send the tarball to
that account (I did this for backing up a small server).

> > The gdc category was disabled at the bugzilla I host by request of someone
> > on the gdc project ages ago.  I don't remember who.  I'd be happy to
> > re-open it and give admin access to one or two people.  Having it report
> > changes to a list or a newsgroup is pretty easy to setup.
>
> I don't think that would be needed now, but thanks.  Yes it would be
> useful to co-ordinate bugs raised in gdc that are really bugs in D
> frontend.  But this is an increasingly rare occurrence.

Maybe when GDC gets merged this could change, as the I think the
userbase of GDC could grow a lot. But even then, maybe is not too hard
to move a bug from one bugzilla instance to another.

Also, did you tried to put your infrastructure in gcc.gnu.org, as other
languages tend to have they home pages in gcc.gnu.org/lang, it might be
a good idea to have something like gcc.gnu.org/d. But maybe you want to
have more control over the server and I guess you can't really request
that until GCD is completely merged. Just thinking out loud. :)