Why is libphobos not a shared library?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 14 06:08:21 PDT 2012

On 14 June 2012 13:36, Matthew Caron <Matt.Caron at redlion.net> wrote:
> So, we've been toying with using D on embedded systems, and one of the
> things that struck us as strange is that our emitted binaries don't link
> against a shared libphobos, and indeed, one does not even seem to be created
> when building GDC. Was this a conscious design decision? If so, why? Are
> there any plans to change it to use a shared library?
> --
> Matthew Caron, Build Engineer
> Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com
> +1 (518) 877-5173 x138 office

Hi Matthew,

This is a pet peeve with us at the moment.  Yes, I can produce a
shared libphobos for you, but the default runtime implementation does
not support it, and the current workaround is specific to Linux
systems only - possibly other related POSIX systems too, so long as
/proc/self/maps exists on the system.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw