x32-abi with D?

Alex Rønne Petersen alex at lycus.org
Sat May 26 12:20:27 PDT 2012

On 26-05-2012 21:05, Brad Roberts wrote:

>>> Should go into upstream druntime shouldn't it?
>>
>> No, druntime is compiler-specific. Phobos is a different story.
>
> I've always disagreed with this stance.  _parts_ of druntime are specific to the compiler/runtime interface, but MOST of
> it isn't and shouldn't be compiler specific.  The closer the various compilers' runtime's are to the same the better the
> ecosystem will be, imho.
>
> So, I encourage pushing changes upstream.
>
> Later,
> Brad

The result is that contributors won't have a clue where to go with their
compiler- or arch-specific patches because upstream and downstream are
almost constantly out of sync. And it's unlikely that anyone wants to
actually spend the time on upstreaming the downstream druntime changes
in the first place...

Besides, upstreaming the downstream changes doesn't seem to have any
obvious gain: Upstream druntime is really only for DMD (x86-32/64) and a
few operating systems running on that architecture, and any downstream
changes are usually to support either the GDC compiler (think
__builtin_*) or to support architectures or operating systems that DMD
doesn't.

--
Alex Rønne Petersen
alex at lycus.org