Difference in dmd and gdmd -lib option

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Nov 2 10:56:39 PDT 2012

On 2012-11-02 17:12, Dan Olson wrote:

> Jacob, how far did you get?

I didn't try much, I never was able to compile DMD with the SDK used buy
the simulator. One thing I know was missing was the Gestalt function,
it's used to get information about Mac OS X, like what exact version.

> A couple years ago I started building a bare druntime. Not too useful
> because I stripped GC and with that goes classes, delagates, dynamic
> arrays, and other stuff I don't recall. I was going for small embedded
> use of D (not ios) and wanted to see how much of the language required
> GC support.
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of reviving some of that to build a minimal
> support runtime for arm/ios, but leave the GC in since ios is not a
> small embedded system. Eventualy add more and more of phobos.
>
> The reason I want to do this is that I think objective-c should just be
> one of those interesting hybrid languages in the evolution tree, but
> should begin to die off since modern languages are so better designed
> (my opinion). I read a post in D newsgroup years ago about a compiler
> mod that allows D to use objective-C style method dispatch (by M.
> Fortin? or somebody like that - I'd have to search). An ARM D with his
> feature, then you can use D to write for ios. It would make programming
> fun!  Well, more fun.

That would be so cool to have. The DMD fork you referring to would be
this one by Michel Fortin:

http://michelf.ca/projects/d-objc/

There's an alpha version available but it's getting quite old now.

--
/Jacob Carlborg