GDC 4.7 build problems on Ubuntu 12.10

Timo Sintonen t.sintonen at luukku.com
Mon Nov 5 07:13:11 PST 2012

On Monday, 5 November 2012 at 10:33:40 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:

> This is configured with
>
> ../gcc-4.7-4.7.2/src/configure --enable-languages=d
> --disable-multilib --disable-libgomp --disable-libmudflap
> --disable-libquadmath --disable-libquadmath-support
> --disable-lto --disable-nls
>
> and built just with "make" i.e. without the -j option.

I do not kmow anout the error messages but here are some tips I
have found.

The version of gcc installed in the system should be same or very
close to the source code. So install the newest package available.

Everything seems to work if we want the c compiler only. Trouble
begins when we want more. It is better to start with only c
compiler (--enable-languages=c). When this is made and installed
correctly then it may be possible to compile other languages.

The full build process first makes a compiler and then tries to
compile itself again with this new compiler. For me this seems to
fail more often than not. For cross compilers this is not
possible at all. The option --disable-bootstrap omits this last
stage.