GDC 4.7 and frontend/phobos 2.060

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 5 09:40:36 PST 2012

On 5 November 2012 16:10, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
<joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 05:53 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Ah, now I remember why I hated the 2.060 merge... so many changes ... :o)
>

> Sorry to bring back the trauma :-P
>
> Is there a particular reason not to allow the frontend, druntime and phobos
> to be git submodules which could be kept up to date with upstream in a more
> 'live' fashion?  I can imagine it might add extra day-to-day issues but it
> might save the pain of those huge merges ...

Because we make changes to DFE, Phobos, Druntime to be compatible with
things GDC does that DMD doesn't do.

I have discussed the notion of altering the DFE to be a more shared
source base for all compilers - where areas that are DMD-specific in
DFE are removed and replaced with hooks.  So to port DFE to your own
backend, all you require to do is implement these hooks in your glue
code (on top of all the ::toSymbol, ::toIR, ::toObjFile, ::toCtype,
routines).

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';