GDC 4.7 and frontend/phobos 2.060

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Nov 5 10:04:28 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 05:40:36PM +0000, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 5 November 2012 16:10, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
> <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:
[...]
> > Is there a particular reason not to allow the frontend, druntime and
> > phobos to be git submodules which could be kept up to date with
> > upstream in a more 'live' fashion?  I can imagine it might add extra
> > day-to-day issues but it might save the pain of those huge merges
> >

> Because we make changes to DFE, Phobos, Druntime to be compatible with
> things GDC does that DMD doesn't do.

If we somehow manage to get 2.060 working for the 4.7 branch, would you
take a pull request? ;-)

I know you're focusing on 4.8, but I'm still unable to get it to build
correctly, whereas the 4.7 branch works for me. And I'd really like to
have 2.060 gdc for some of my D projects.

> I have discussed the notion of altering the DFE to be a more shared
> source base for all compilers - where areas that are DMD-specific in
> DFE are removed and replaced with hooks.  So to port DFE to your own
> backend, all you require to do is implement these hooks in your glue
> code (on top of all the ::toSymbol, ::toIR, ::toObjFile, ::toCtype,
> routines).
[...]

I think this is something important to work towards. This will greatly
widen the availability of D, which can only be a good thing.

Curiosity kills the cat. Moral: don't be the cat.