GDC 4.8: Status of garbage collection and TLS

Dan Olson zans.is.for.cans at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 09:12:55 PST 2012

So far I am having fun gradually pushing D into apple ios sim (it runs
i386 not arm).  I am curious though about thread local storage and GC.
I saw older posts about it being an issue and have not seen anything
more on it.  Is it still an issue?  I am doing all this with latest D
git and gcc-4.8-20121028 snapshot.

What I gather is that D TLS vars are not monitored by the collector so
memory can be prematurely collected.  Is that right?

Anyway, so far it is fun to see D code being linked into an ios app
(i386 sim again) and running, making phobos calls.  I build .o or .a
files outside of xcode then drag them in along with libgphobos2.  I
figure if you can call writeln() and see it come out on the xcode gdb
console, then that is progress.  Well, to me anyway.

--
dano