GDC build comes with C/C++ ... ?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Nov 20 14:51:43 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:44:31PM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> I realized that the from-source GDC build also puts in place C and
> C++ compilers.  Any way of disabling this?  Other build processes
> are suddenly wanting to use these versions instead of the
> system-installed gcc/g++ :-(

Don't install gdc into the system directories; put it in its own tree,
say, /usr/src/gdc/{bin,include,...}, then add a symlink from
/usr/bin/gdc -> /usr/src/gdc/bin/gdc. Don't include /usr/src/gdc in your
$PATH, but just let the symlink do its job.

GDC should be smart enough to figure out which backend(s) to invoke
based on the path it is invoked with.

Some days you win; most days you lose.