Precompiled GDC binary issues

Elliott Darfink elliott.darfink at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:51:48 PST 2012

Hi!

I have been trying to transition from DMD on Windows (32bit) to GDC. At
first I tried to compile the GDC sources myself, but with the shallow
documentation of the process I had no success. After this I searched and
found out about the pre-compiled binaries for GDC (found at github[1]).
At first I tried this with a clean install of TDM GCC 4.6.1 (found at
sourceforge[2]) combined with an older binary release of GDC, namely
2012-01-09. This worked perfectly, but I noticed this wasn't using the
most recent version of DMD (2.057, not 2.060). Therefore I wanted to
install the newest GDC version, so I did a new, clean, install of TDM
GCC (still 4.6.1) and applied the newest GDC patch (i.e copied the GDC
files into the 'MinGW32' directory) just like last time. When I then
tried to compile the same example as before I received an error (using
'gdc ./test.d'):

"cc1d.exe - System Error

The program can't start because libgmp-3.dll is missing from your
computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

I discovered that the missing library file could be found in
"\MinGW32\libexec\gcc\mingw32\4.6.1", so I added this directory to $PATH.

After executing the same command as before ('gdc ./test.d') I no longer
received an error complaining about the missing library file, or at
least not the same one:

gdc ./test.d
gdc: fatal error: -fuse-linker-plugin, but liblto_plugin-0.dll not found
compilation terminated.

Just as before, this shared library file was located in the same
directory as 'libgmp-3.dll', but since the directory was already in
$PATH I did not know what to do.

So here I am. I'd greatly appreciate any kind of help that might solve
my problem. The only other reference I could find about this error was
from this thread[3]. The poster ('bearophile') had the exact same issue
and did just like me (added the mentioned directory to $PATH) but ended
up with 'liblto-plugin-o.dll' not found. The solution in that thread was
using a different release of GDC (which is now rather old, and I would
preferably avoid, considering the huge amount of changes to D since then).

NOTE: I also tried using the latest TDM GCC version (4.7.1), but that
did not help at all (still the same issue)