D for embedded system

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Sat Oct 20 07:35:45 PDT 2012

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:36:45 +0200, Timo Sintonen <t.sintonen at luukku.com>
wrote:

> I have written programs with C for Arm Cortex controller boards. I think
> that D might be an interesting nut simple enough oo language. So far I
> have a working gdc for my target, but I can not compile the runtime
> library because of too many os related assertions.
> With my own makefile I can compile part of the library, so I know tha
> compiler is working. Is there a way to make a minimum library? Embedded
> systems do not have file systems or streams or many other things that
> operating systems have. There would be no need for the whole libaray,
> but the compiler needs at least the Object class.
> So is it possible to configure a minimum library or should I just look
> at every file and remove everything that is not needed?

I recently did a project on the STM32F0-Discovery board.
After having used a nice arm-none-eabi-*/openocd toolchain I wonder what
is needed to build a cross-gdc.
As these devices are really short on Flash and RAM I would've only
translated the peripheral headers
without using any runtime.
Not sure though if you can get classes without full typeinfos support.

martin