GDC documentation and debugging problems

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 7 06:54:52 PDT 2012

On Friday, 7 September 2012 at 13:33:53 UTC, Gyula Gubacsi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build the gdc project but I ran in to the problem
> that
> since you moved to the github, there isn't really a project
> page that
> would describe how to build the gdc project that is up-to-date.
> noticed that there were some changes in the project structure,
> so it
> would make sense to take the docs from the bitbucket website
> and add
> them to the git repository's root. (Currently, the system finds
> the
> README in the
> "https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/tree/master/gcc/d"
> directory, but this file doesn't contain any description how to
> build
> the current source tree. I will probably work it out for my
> self, but
> it would be great if you could move the bitbucket wiki/readme
> to the
> github repo's root.
>
> As an other question, I'm working on Linux Mint, and I tried to
> build
> a simple hello world program with gdc and debug it with gdb. I
> compiled my little program with the following command:
>
>     $ gdc -fdebug-c main.d -o main
>     cc1d: warning: command line option "-imultilib" is valid for
> C/C++/Fortran/ObjC/ObjC++ but not for D
>
> I don't think the warning has anything to do with it, but for
> the
> record that's what I've got right in the beginning. So when I
> try to
> debug, the gdb is complaining:
>
>     Reading symbols from
> /home/progician/gdc-debugging-experience/main...(no debugging
> symbols
> found)...done.
>
> I also tried this using the -fdebug switch only but I've got
> the same
> results. The symbol table however looks working, because I was
> able to
> call and use this:
>
>     gdb>break main
>
> I know that the gdb has no specific D support, other than name
> mangling (which probably worked as it was able to find the main
> function) but I expected to see some debugging info.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Gyula Gubacsi

-fdebug-c sets the lang_name to "GNU C", which may alter the way
some debug information is emitted.  It does not itself turn on
debugging symbols.

Similarly, -fdebug only turns on 'debug' statements.

To turn on debug symbols, use -g.  Which is the same switch as
you would use in other GCC front end compilers.

Github is a means to host the code, not the project.  To read
information on the project, see the following links.

http://gdcproject.org
http://gdcproject.org/wiki
http://gdcproject.org/bugzilla

Regards