Question around druntime/phobos and GDC

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 20 16:30:28 PDT 2012

On 20 September 2012 20:50, Daniel Harper <djharperuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the things I've encountered when trying to compile GDC for OSX is an
> issue with the following file
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/blob/master/libphobos/libdruntime/core/thread.d
>
> This issue was noticed by a guy a few months ago on the old BitBucket
> repository
>
> https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/issue/357/definition-of-_tls_data_array-with-version
>
> His suggestion for a fix worked for me and I was able to compile GDC for OSX
> 10.8 quite easily.
>
> The question I have is, what repository do I send a pull request to, to fix
> this? Is the "druntime" element of GDC different from
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime
>
> ?
>
> Or are they kept (roughly) in sync?

It's mostly kept in sync, however each compiler implements their own
runtime folders (libdruntime/rt)

TLS is an implementation detail and requires support of the compiler,
so send anything relating to it to GDC.  However, hold your horses.
Just having a quick look at the issue reported (I don't look at
bitbucket anymore) what they suggest does not solve the problem.  GDC
doesn't use _tls_data_array, so you are working around it, rather than
fixing GDC-OSX runtime, which will still be potentially broken because
it is not handled in the way GDC's TLS implementation works for OSX.

Regards
--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';