The following code bypasses immutabililty with GDC but not DMD

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Apr 15 06:06:23 PDT 2013

On 04/12/2013 01:35 PM, Nicholas Smith wrote:
> I suppose someone should update that package in the Software Centre then :P
> Eh, doesn't matter. Looks like I'll have to get my hands dirty if I want to use
> GDC.

It's not too bad to build GDC on Ubuntu once you get the hang of it -- here's my
technique using the gcc-snapshot package to get GCC sources:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.1605.1352199912.5162.d.gnu@puremagic.com

Note that that post has one small typo in it -- the line that is given as

    ./setup-gcc.sh ../gcc-snapshot-20121008

should be,

    ./setup-gcc.sh ../gcc-snapshot-20121008/src

Also, note that the gcc-snapshot package has updated since then -- the current
with Ubuntu 13.04 is gcc-snapshot-20130330.

Finally, the ./configure options listed there are far too extensive.  These
days, I use simply:

    ../gcc-snapshot-YYYYmmdd/src/configure --enable-languages=d
--disable-multilib --enable-checking=release --prefix=/opt/gdc

These days I'm building off the gdc-4.8 branch rather than GDC master, but that
may be over-cautious.