OS version symbols

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 4 02:18:06 PST 2013

On 3 February 2013 09:54, Johannes Pfau <nospam at example.com> wrote:

> I started implementing the CPU version symbols:
> https://gist.github.com/4701086

Nice. :-)

> It doesn't mirror the C++ macro structure as we usually don't have to
> overwrite the macro definitions for specific architectures. So the
> generic definitions are in the top level OS files which are used for
> every architecture. It's still possible to add architecture and OS
> specific versions, see e.g. Android or GDC_MinGW64.

Typically in the we've used GNU_xxx for identifiers specific to our
compiler.  I would hint that the same convention should be used here too.

> As a next step I'd like to remove target-ver-syms.sh, but there's one
> problem: What to do about the TARGET_OSX,... preprocessor definitions?
> Should I change all of those to runtime variables? Also: Should extra
> code be added to the TARGET_OS_D_BUILTINS macros or could we just use
> findCondition to check if version(OSX) is set and then use that result?

A better way would be to remove all TARGET_ macros from the D frontend (
example: http://bit.ly/WSzRlk ) and pushing them into the backend away from
the code that GDC/LDC shares with DMD.

Regards,
--