D for embedded system

Freddie Chopin freddie_chopin at op.pl
Tue Jan 8 08:58:10 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 16:52:05 UTC, Freddie Chopin wrote:
> Yes, we're talking about real bare-metal here (; I think D with
> it's safety fits really nicely in the embedded niche... I think
> that if D could be used on a system with 128kB of flash and 8kB
> of RAM that would be great. If it would require the chip to
> have more RAM it wouldn't be so great, but a 16kB or 32kB is
> still quite OK... This would probably require D's lib (phobos)
> to NOT depend on garbage collector (or maybe use it only in
> some high-level stuff that would be to big for such embedded
> system anyway).

To be even more specific - I'm talking about microCONTROLLERS
(not micro-processors), ARM Cortex-M3 or Cortex-M4, STM32,
LPC17xx, maybe even Cortex-M0 if the footprint is low enough...
So no MMU, sometimes MPU (rarely), ROM in "hundreds of
kilobytes", RAM in "tens of kilobytes" (sometimes less, rarely
over 100kB - only for really big chips).

PC programmers have so many options to choose from, while on the
MCUs it's basically only C (really about 99.666%), C++ sometimes,
sometimes assembly - there are also things not worth mentioning
like BASIC for some AVR chips and that's about all...

4\/3!!