D for embedded system

Freddie Chopin freddie_chopin at op.pl
Tue Jan 8 14:23:14 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 8 January 2013 at 16:52:05 UTC, Freddie Chopin wrote:
> Well, RTOSes ("schedulers") like FreeRTOS don't do that much -
> you have threads, mutexes/semaphores, message queue and
> software timers - all of them but the last one is covered by D
> APIs, but now I thought that D probably just uses some OS
> services for that (like POSIX pthread.h), wrapping it up a
> little...

That seems true - internally D just wraps POSIX (pthread.h
especially) or whichever threading mechanism exists on the OS.

Fortunately I have a rally nice and universal solution going
around my head, which would make most of D runtime available for
small embedded targets like Cortex-M3 (; If I could just stretch
the day a bit, to - say - 96h...

4\/3!!