gcc 4.8.1 made it to Debian Sid

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Jul 5 11:02:14 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 06:35:20PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
[...]
> I'll describe exactly what I do.
>
> Let's suppose that we have a directory called $(GDCDIR) that holds
> everything.
>
> In $(GDCDIR)/dev I have my local copy of the GDC git repo.  This is
> GDC master, not any of the 4.x branches.
>
> In $(GDCDIR)/gcc-4.8.1 I have the GCC sources.  This is just the
> .tar.gz download from one of the GCC mirrors, unzipped.
>
> Then:
>
>     cd $(GDCDIR)/dev
>     ./setup-gcc.sh ../gcc-4.8.1
>     mkdir ../objdir
>     cd ../objdir
>     ../gcc-4.8.1/configure --enable-languages=d --disable-multilib
> --enable-checking=release --prefix=/opt/gdc
>     make   [ with -j for as many processors as you can spare, it helps! ]

Thanks so much for posting the exact steps! I finally got around to
retrying to build GDC with GCC-4.8. Using your steps above, it worked!!!

There was no trouble at all, except for an initial hiccup of having to
install libmpc-dev (but the configure script was pretty good about
stating exactly what is missing). The build went smoothly. To the above
steps, I'd only add 'make install' as the final step. :)

> I think this matches pretty closely the general installation
> instructions:
> http://www.gdcproject.org/wiki/Installation/General
>
> It's no longer necessary to bother with the hassle of getting
> Debian/Ubuntu GCC sources, as from 4.8 on GCC supports multiarch.
> This also saves the hassle of having to patch the Debian sources.

I think the fact that gcc-4.8 supports multiarch without needing to
setup the Debian sources (with the associated patching, etc.), made
things MUCH simpler and less error-prone than before.

> With the above done, if I pull in any updates from GDC master, I can
> rebuild as follows:
>
>     cd $(GDCDIR)/dev
>     ./setup-gcc.sh --update ../gcc-4.8.1
>     cd ../objdir
>     make    [ still use -j as many processors as you can :-) ]

Thanks, this will come in handy when I need to update GDC.

> I should add that I arrived at this simple process substantially
> thanks to a good deal of coaching and education from Iain, without
> whom GCC would have defeated me :-)
[...]

Well, I have to thank you for posting these steps. I have given up
building GDC for a long time until I tried it again today with your
instructions. And it worked!

Why ask rhetorical questions? -- JC