gcc 4.8.1 made it to Debian Sid

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jul 9 17:07:59 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:50:02PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 07/08/2013 11:45 AM, eles wrote:
> > Just me alone, I do not feel that I have enough time and competence
> > to do that.  But, what about to form a venture, the three of us?
> > (JRW, HST and me, Iain already has a lot of job to do)
> >
> > The goal would be to D-ify the gdmd.
> >
> > I will learn some Perl in the process, but that's life...
>
> My main concern is about regularity of time/attention I can give.  As
> you can see from my contributions to Phobos, I tend to have brief
> periods of furious activity and then long activity deserts -- which
> are mostly to do with commitments elsewhere.
>
> Anyway, I'll happily give it a go if the two of you are up for it, and
> understand that at certain points I may just vanish for a while, at
> least contribution-wise :-)
>
> I figure it's something we can all learn something by doing and once
> this is started we might be able to get others in as well.
[...]

I forked GDMD on github and took a first stab at D-ifying it:

	https://github.com/quickfur/GDMD/tree/dport

The new code is in gdmd.d -- I haven't updated the Makefile to build it
yet, so you'll have to compile it by hand.  It can do very simple
compiles now (list of .d files -> executable), including compile itself.
:) It can read dmd.conf and setup environment variables accordingly,
though I haven't actually tested whether it's really doing what I think
it's doing.  (Anybody up for writing unittests? ;-))

However, NO command-line options are parsed right now, so it can't
handle anything beyond just a list of .d files.  I also haven't tested
anything on Windows in spite of the version(Windows) blocks; so I've no
idea if that code actually works.  But it's a start. :)

I decided to write idiomatic D instead of a 1-to-1 translation of the
Perl version, so I took some liberties in the program structure.  But I
do use the Perl version as the go-to reference at each point, so it
*should* in theory be identical in functionality at the end.

Comments / flames / pull requests welcome. ;-)

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
understand. -- Benjamin Franklin