gcc 4.8.1 made it to Debian Sid

eles eles at eles.com
Mon Jul 15 07:25:59 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 11 July 2013 at 14:42:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 08:09:33AM +0100, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> On Jul 11, 2013 1:28 AM, "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>
>> wrote:
> Heh, you're right, I misread the Perl script (or rather, didn't
> pay
> attention to that little flag named $combine). The original
> script does
> indeed compile everything all at once. I'll have to change my
> new
> version to do the same. :)

The perl script achieves that by adding the "-combine" option to
the invocation of gdc (perl/l626). That is a deprecated option.
Newer one is to use "-flto" and, also, if the output is an exe,
"-fwhole-program" could be added, too.

see here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/387122/

I think there is no problem to provide "-flto" to gdc even if
there is just only one source file (unlike the "$combine" flag
that is activated only for multiple source files: perl/l490).

More, apparently, since gcc 4.6, that "-combine" flag seems to be
inert:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/changes.html