gdmd -man fails perhaps due to out-of-date commands?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 28 11:53:04 PDT 2013

On 28 March 2013 17:29, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <
joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> On 03/28/2013 06:06 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> > $ echo $GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID
> > GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
>
> Yup, same on my system (actually it just prints this-is-deprecated).
>
> > $ which gnome-open
> > /usr/bin/gnome-open
> >
> > Guess the detection method is deprecated, but the open command still
> exists...
>
> Not on my system -- there's no /usr/bin/gnome-open and calling which
> gnome-open
> results in no output.  (I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 as said before.)

Well, you could follow the other methods of determining desktop and cycle
through the typical linux commands found:

eg:
----
    if ($^O =~ m/MSWin32/i) {
        @cmd = qw(cmd /c start);
    } elsif ($^O =~ m/darwin/i &&
             -x '/usr/bin/open') { # MacOS X vs. just Darwin
        @cmd = 'open';
    } elsif (-x '/usr/bin/kfmclient') {
        @cmd = qw(kfmclient exec);
    } elsif (-x '/usr/bin/gnome-open') {
        @cmd = 'gnome-open';
    } elsif (-x '/usr/bin/gvfs-open) {
        @cmd = 'gvfs-open';
    } elsif (-x '/usr/bin/xdg-open') {
        @cmd = 'xdg-open';
    } else {
        errorExit "Sorry, I do not know how to start your browser.\nManual
    }
----

Regards

--