phobos and sysroots

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Sun May 12 07:38:46 PDT 2013

On 12 May 2013 14:23, Johannes Pfau <nospam at example.com> wrote:

> I noticed that we do not have any sysroot handling in gdc yet.
>
> If gcc is build with --with-sysroot=SYSROOT certain libraries &
> headers are not installed in PREFIX/lib but in SYSROOT/lib. At runtime
> it is then possible to use the --sysroot=NEWPATH switch and the compiler
> will then look for includes & library files in NEWPATH/ instead of in
> SYSROOT/. This is often used for cross compilers so you can have one
> compiler targeting different systems (for example with different libc
> versions) by using different sysroots.
>
> The question here is mainly whether we want phobos & druntime to be
> installed in the sysroot or whether we should treat them as belonging
> to the compiler and always use the same, shipped libphobos, even if the
> --sysroot switch is used.
>
> Right now we have some weird hybrid form: The libraries are in the
> sysroot (x86_64-gdcproject-linux-gnu/sysroot/lib) but the includes are
> not
>
> (x86_64-gdcproject-linux-gnu/lib/gcc/x86_64-gdcproject-linux-gnu/4.7.2/include/d2)

I think there's nothing wrong with the rationale, they're shipped with the
compiler, so they belong to the compiler.

Another missing configure switch is: --with-gdc-include-dir

Also need to remove the logic in Make-lang.in that decides on where
phobos/druntime will be.  It should all be configured.

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';