Building on Ubuntu -- what GCC sources to use?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri May 31 04:05:18 PDT 2013

Hi all,

So far when building from source on Ubuntu I've always used the gcc-snapshot
sources.  This is a Bad Habit (it's specifically disallowed by Debian for
building actual packages), but was an effective workaround in the period before
GCC 4.8 was released.

Anyway, now that 4.8 _has_ been released, the question is -- where to get the
appropriate sources?  Ubuntu only has GCC 4.7.3 and earlier in its repositories,
gcc-snapshot is now frozen (and probably is best to avoid if possible anyway).

It seems best to download sources from the Debian repos as they should be
patched to work with Debian/Ubuntu, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has any
advice.

Thanks and best wishes,

     -- Joe