Building on Ubuntu -- what GCC sources to use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 31 15:49:44 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 05:22:24PM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 05/31/2013 04:30 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > I thought the usual method is: apt-get source <package>
> >
> > Or is that not working for you for some reason?
>
> The required sources (gcc 4.8) aren't available in the Ubuntu
> repositories, and obviously neither will 4.9 be when that becomes
> necessary.

You could point /etc/apt/sources.list to the Debian repo:

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main

The deb-src line only affects 'apt-get source', so it shouldn't affect
your other packages.

> Did you ever manage to get a successful GDC build on Ubuntu/Debian?
> Would be interested to hear if my description here is useful to you.

Actually, I haven't tried since the last time, when it didn't quite
work. I'll see if I can find some time to try it again sometime. I've
been quite busy in the past while, so I haven't really done too much
D-related stuff.

Life is unfair. Ask too much from it, and it may decide you don't
deserve what you have now either.