Building GDC

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 31 01:59:36 PDT 2013

On 31 October 2013 08:34, Steve Teale <steve.teale at britseyeview.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 at 06:18:02 UTC, Alexandr Druzhinin wrote:
>
>> 30.10.2013 11:58, Steve Teale пишет:
>>
>>> I want to build gtkD. For that I need a version 2 GDC. Ubuntu is still
>>> on V2.
>>>
>>> Are there any clear build instructions available, or even a binary ;=)
>>>
>> http://gdcproject.org/wiki/**Installation/General<http://gdcproject.org/wiki/Installation/General>to build from source. Binary exists, but it's better to build from source.
>>

> OK, got all the tools installed and the build for GDC went on for some
> time, but eventually bombed out with:
>
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
> `/home/steve/gdc/objdir/i686-**pc-linux-gnu/libgcc':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
>
> Help? Out of my depth.

Hello Steve,

It's been a while since you've poked your head round here.  ;-)

This error message you are getting is quite misleading and frequently the
problem has nothing to do with the message.  You have to check the file
'config.log' in the directory where the error occurred.  In the error you
are getting, you would have to check the 'config.log' file in the directory
'/home/steve/gdc/objdir/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libgcc'.  There might be several
test programs that failed during the configuration, but some of these
failures are non-critical.  Check for the last error entry in the file.

However a common cause is that the tequired libraries for the GCC build are
missing, specifically MPFR, GMP and MPC.

In Ubuntu, even if these packages are installed, they are put into
multiarch directories which vanilla GCC isn't aware of.

Can you export the following two environment variables, and see if it
continues to fail.

export CPATH=/usr/include/i686-linux-gnu
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i686-linux-gnu

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';