Building GDC

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Oct 31 11:02:41 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:33:50PM +0100, Steve Teale wrote:
> Mea Culpa.
>
> In attempting to install the prerequisites
>
> libmpc-dev
> libmpfr-dev
> libgmp3-dev
>
> I ended up building from the source code for these projects.
>
> Later, back to square one, I simply installed them using apt-get.
>
> Then the build worked.
>
> Grovel, grovel, my apologies to those whose time I wasted ;=(
[...]

No worries, the gcc build system is a sensitive, fragile beast that
requires lots of TLC. I had a hard time getting the build to work until
Joseph kindly provided detailed steps on how to do it.

It might be good if you write up in detail all the steps you took
(starting from a blank slate) to get the build working, and compare that
with the current instructions on the wiki, and add any missing details.
This stuff needs to be documented in a detailed way so that people can
reliably produce a working compiler; I conjecture that many people
simply gave up when their first attempt failed, and thus got turned away
from GDC. :-/

Nobody is perfect.  I am Nobody. -- pepoluan, GKC forum