d bare bones

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Sep 6 07:20:45 PDT 2013

On Friday, 6 September 2013 at 14:09:15 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 6 September 2013 14:13, Dicebot <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 September 2013 at 12:25:56 UTC, eles wrote:

> And all I'm saying is that if you want to use it on bare metal
> then
> you have to strip out phobos and re-implement everything from
> druntime.

Yes, I know, the kernel provides an almost complete and fully
from-scratch reimplementation of the C standard lib. It would be
almost impossible to rely on the libc provided by GNU, as the
latter... relies on the kernel.

While reimplementing the C standard lib is simpler than
reimplemented Druntime/Phobos, it could be argued that writing
code using the libraries should be easier when relying on
Druntime/Phobos, so this could be acceptable.

Problem is that D is needing those libraries not only for
functions, but also for functionalities (of the language itself).

In C, you can use the language without a library, and I mean any
subset of the language (yes, that will be a bare does-nothing
application, but you know what you can rely on and what not).

In D you cannot. You have to avoid features *of the language*
relying on Druntime and, worse, it is not even clear or
guaranteed which of them.