d bare bones

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 6 07:28:23 PDT 2013

On Friday, 6 September 2013 at 14:09:15 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> And all I'm saying is that if you want to use it on bare metal
> then
> you have to strip out phobos and re-implement everything from
> druntime.

I am mostly aware of this and have studied Xomb sources and
runtime reimplementation quite closely at some point. Main
problem for me that amount of micro-management required for D
(because of all language/runtime magic) is much more intensive
than with C (just throw away libc and be careful with stack) -
and that largely shadows the value of using D instead of C in the
very first place.

Once you step into this domain, compiler becomes your enemy
instead of your trusty friend and this is the most frustrating
part. Adam Ruppe minimal.d module is a promising approach of a
common starting point for own runtime implementation but I
honestly think it is as much language issues as implementation
issue.