d bare bones

eles eles at eles.com
Fri Sep 6 15:14:30 PDT 2013

On Friday, 6 September 2013 at 19:24:22 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> Let's be honest. D, as Iain correctly indicated, is a userland
> language

Unfortunately, in this case, it brings to my actual workplace
nothing more than does C#. And we already use the latter for GUI
and so on. When really needed some pointer action, a bit of C
will ensure that just fine: after all, grunt pointer work in code
is less than 5% (don't count for that abstractions as arrays, as
the latter are provided by C# and co.).

And you know C quite well, because, surprise, you are using it a
lot for the kernel programming.

It was a time when Walter answered to some post telling that
there are no OSs written with garbage collectors someting like:
"maybe it should". Understanding that this will also mean better
safety, as less memory leaks and so on.

Well, it seems that you could have an almost OS: the GNU without
the Linux. And that OS will be something like D/C, just as today
we have GNU/Linux. C standing for the kernel...

> There is good reason I respect and praise Iain. He delivered.

I concur.

> After days of frustration and being laughed at or even being
> attacked
> I'm humming away productively since I switched to GDC.

I wish I could say the same.