d bare bones

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 6 17:05:07 PDT 2013

On Friday, 6 September 2013 at 19:24:22 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> Frankly, when hacking the kernel you use C, period. There are
> alternatives, Ada for instance but they have a price tag too.
> And
> D, with all the warm feelings we might have for it, is not one
> of
> those alternatives.

Lot of confusion comes from some earlier times when D was
implicitly advertised as systems programming language. It simply
gave too much hope - one needs to be get engaged deep into
kernel/embedded industry to understand how freaking fed up some
programmers are from C in that domain. Thus all the frustration -
one sees the possibility of final salvation from 60 year old tool
stack only to find out that it in practice competes in C# domain.

Which is pretty bold move because it has completely missed
possible niche with zero alternatives and thus competence.

Eventually I got used to it and currently only try to make some
buzz so that situation won't get even worse - but consequences of
false advertising still roam across the internet.