d bare bones

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Sep 6 22:33:37 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 05:35:48AM +0200, Ramon wrote:
[...]
> I'm sorry, honestly sorry, that I myself can not (yet) contribute
> much more than thoughts and constructive(!) criticism. I'm working
> on it and - thanks to Iain (I was just a split second away from
> leaving D) - I stayed. That's not much but it's the best I can give
> as a D newbie and it's much more than just leaving like so many
> before me.
[...]

Don't be sorry; D is really not *that* hard to learn (it's certainly
simpler than C++, speaking from my experience!). Once you get a good
grip on it, start making pull requests. Make the changes you'd like to
see happen. That's what I'm doing. I see a lot of flaws and problems in
various areas, but I don't see much value in complaining -- it often
only makes people angry and the problem still remains. Instead, I tell
myself, OK, I may not know everything about D, but I do know *something*
about programming, so I'm going to make the code changes and submit
them. If they don't like it, then it's a good opportunity for me to
learn how to make my code changes better; if they accept it, even
better, I made a difference.

I find that it's much more convincing for me to say "feature X is
broken, here's the code change to make it better", than to say "feature
X is broken, D sucks, you lazy bums better start working to fix X or
else I'm leaving".  It feels good to rant and get it off my chest, but
it feels even better to have my changes merged and feature X to get
fixed because of me.

Latin's a dead language, as dead as can be; it killed off all the Romans, and now it's killing me! -- Schoolboy