status of GDC integration into GCC

via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 11:30:15 PDT 2014

Hello there,

I know there has been work to enable such an integration, and
there also has been several tries, the last one was on GCC 4.8
which failed for some reason I can not find on any mailing list.

Now GCC 4.9 has been released two days ago, and still no news
about GDC integration. I know you guys have a lot of work
maintaining GDC and synchronizing with latest D versions, but can
you clarify some points ? I think this is important for everyone
to understand what is the situation, and what are the needs of
GDC to succeed this.

- Why GCC 4.8 integration has failed ?
- What GCC team is expecting for a future integration ?
- What work needs to be done technically in GDC code ?
- What GDC needs in terms of contributions ?

I don't have to say that D support in GCC would be a giant leap
for our community, and also for D to spread, and I am sure if we
know more exactly what are the problems that prevent this
integration, we could better fight them.

Friendly,
Théo.