[Projects] Review of GDC frontend components for 2.066 merge.

Trent Forkert via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 10 21:32:13 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Iain Buclaw via D.gnu <d.gnu at puremagic.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been turning around the idea in my head to start removing aspects of
> the D frontend from GDC as each part is converted into the more
> modular/pluggable Visitor interface.
>
> Some initial thoughts are along the lines of, remove the extraneous
> tooling components that we have on offer in DMD, meaning GDC is strictly
> kept as a compiler only.
>
> Potential files up for deletion include:
>
> - doc.c:  Because people should be using the (far) superior DDox [1].
> - macro.c: Used by the DDoc engine.
> - json.c: I can't think of a good reason to keep it.

I don't think getting rid of DDoc is a good idea (having it built into the
compiler is a plus, IMO), and I should probably point out that according to
DDox documentation, you need the compiler-generated JSON to actually do
anything. So at least one of these systems needs to stick around if GDC is
to generate documentation without depending on DMD or LDC.

 - Trent