Object file questions

Timo Sintonen via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 14 03:07:04 PDT 2014

I have been looking at object files to see if I can reduce the
memory usage for minimum systems. There are two things I have
noticed:

1. In the data segment there is some source code as ascii text
from a template in gcc/atomics.d . This is in the actual data
segment and not in debug info segments and goes into the data
segment of the executable. I do not see any code using this data.
Why is this in the executable and is it possible to remove it?

2. In the data segment there is also __init for all types. I
assume that they contain the initial values that are copied when
a new object of this type is created. Is this data mutable and
should it really be in data segment and not in rodata?