Compiler-generated implicit symbols and --gc-sections

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Mon Jan 6 10:58:49 PST 2014

On 6 Jan 2014 13:45, "Dicebot" <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:

> On Friday, 3 January 2014 at 18:14:58 UTC, Mike wrote:
>>
>> I eventually tracked it down to the fact that I was compiling with
-ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections and linking with --gc-sections and
symbols like...

> I never got --gc-sections to work reliably with D without going dirty,
crashes were somewhat common for any non-trivial program. Don't think this
particular use case is tested by anyone at all, you are on your own once
you get here.

Of course ! --gc-sections is just a dirty hack.  If you want smaller
binaries, then you are better off aiding the shared library support. :)

I don't ever recall any of the core maintainers ever endorsing that switch
anyway....