Porting gdc to a new target (Nios2) any guides out there?

Timo Sintonen via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 22 22:20:55 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 at 22:13:15 UTC, John Carter wrote:
> So for various reasons I see potential to use a gdc on an
> Altera FPGA with a nios2 softcore running embedded linux.
>
> Given gdc on linux exists, gdc arm port exists, gcc nios2 back
> end exists....
>
> Leaves me wondering... how hard could it be to get gdc
> targetting Nios2?
>
> Any "this is how to do these things" type guides out there?

I do not know this system but should be possible.
Maybe this is the starting point:
http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Installation

At the end of the page there is a link to cross compiler page. In
that page there is 4 different ways people have used.

First forget D and try to build a C only toolset. If this works
then build c++. If this works, then build D without library.
If this works, then make your own runtime library, see Mikes work
here:
https://github.com/JinShil/D_Runtime_ARM_Cortex-M_study/wiki/1.0-Introduction
or port an existing library like my minlibd:
https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd