[Projects] Review of GDC frontend components for 2.066 merge.

Iain Buclaw via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 09:25:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've been turning around the idea in my head to start removing
aspects of the D frontend from GDC as each part is converted into
the more modular/pluggable Visitor interface.

Some initial thoughts are along the lines of, remove the
extraneous tooling components that we have on offer in DMD,
meaning GDC is strictly kept as a compiler only.

Potential files up for deletion include:

- doc.c:  Because people should be using the (far) superior DDox
[1].
- macro.c: Used by the DDoc engine.
- json.c: I can't think of a good reason to keep it.

[1] https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/ddox

Others projects in the flux for 2.066 include:

- Renaming main glue source files under a clean naming scheme.
- Re-write glue components against the Visitor interface.
- Move druntime library functions to a .def macro file.
- Move/Fork C++ mangling (cppmangle.c) into GDC's glue.
- Update for GCC C++ coding conventions.
- Document! Document! Document!

Regards
Iain.