ICE due to unsupported target

Mike none at none.com
Sat Mar 8 03:11:17 PST 2014

On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 10:33:30 UTC, Timo Sintonen wrote:

> In gcc build we know the host we are building and the target we
> are building for.

Yeah! You are right.  GDC/GCC is somewhat unique in this regard,
isn't it? critsecsize could just return a constant that's
determined at GDC's compile time?

I guess the question is, "Where should OS features be
implemented?".  In the language (i.e. the runtime), or in the
compiler?  I think I'd prefer the runtime, but it's an
interesting question.

Man, D is messing with my mind.

> There is only one operating system that the generated compiler
> supports. (or none like in arm-none-eabi) I think all operating
> system related in the compiler should be in compile time
> directives and have no runtime code for that.

I pose another question to you, then.  If I build an OS with
arm-none-eabi, do I then need to modify GDC/GCC to write programs
for my OS?  I sure hope not.

I keep running into this catch 22 with D.  I'm trying to build an
OS with D, but D requires an OS.  I'm still trying to figure out
how to reconcile that.

It's an interesting conundrum.

> When we get the --with-cpu- etc statements work, we may tune
> the compiler even more.

I didn't know they weren't working.  Please elaborate.

Mike