GDC Project page updated

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 04:48:12 PDT 2014

On 09/03/2014 11:46, Iain Buclaw wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2014 5:00 PM, "Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
> <mailto:brunodomedeiros%2Bdng at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 16/01/2014 16:45, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Updated the GDC Project page with some better information.
>  >>
>  >> http://gdcproject.org
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Also got started on a ProjectIdeas page, as the list of things that I'm
>  >> currently keeping under my umbrella needs to start being distributed by
>  >> anyone who wants to help out with the project.
>  >>
>  >> There's not just development work, so you can help out too!
>  >>
>  >> http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/ProjectIdeas
>  >>
>  >> Regards
>  >> Iain.
>  >
>  >
>  > So, are there any plans to update the Windows binary releases?
>  >

> Someone will have to work out how Daniel built and maintained the Mingw
> binaries. I'm not so sure that information was documented. :)
>
> Regards
> --
> Iain Buclaw
>
> *(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';

It would be really nice if progress could be made on this.
Recently I tried once more to get recent compiler support for debugging.
First I went on to try LDC, but the LLVM Windows target is not well
supported, and there is some DWARF generation bug that makes debugging
not work at all, at least with the LDC Windows binary release.

I took another look at GDC and considered actually compiling it myself,
but after looking at the build script and instructions, my initial
reluctance to try that prevailed: In my experience such bash based build
scripts, especially on foreign environments and working with lots of
different tools and dependencies, tend to be very brittle and sometimes
break, (or worse, work incorrectly). And when they do, there is not
clear info why.

I might still have to give it a try, but first a few questions.

Does GDC have to be compiled with MingW+Msys, or would Cygwin work as
well? What wabout mingw-w64? Would there be any differences? Would a
Cygwin compiled GDC only be able to build for the Cygwin target (that
is, the binaries produced by GDC would require the Cygwin runtime)?

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros