master branch broken

Johannes Pfau nospam at example.com
Sun Mar 23 02:31:29 PDT 2014

Am Sat, 22 Mar 2014 14:50:22 -0700
schrieb Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com>:

> On 3/22/14, 12:02 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> > On 22 March 2014 18:20, Johannes Pfau <nospam at example.com> wrote:
> >> See
> >> https://d.puremagic.com/test-results/test_data.ghtml?projectid=2&runid=62582&logid=13
> >>
> >> (Didn't see this in my local tests, it probably needs a complete
> >> gdc rebuild to happen)
> >
> > Hmm, didn't see that either.
>
> Has the minimum base gcc version moved forward again?

I don't think that's the case here, at least there's no obvious change
that could require a newer snapshot.

> Why isn't the
> GDC repo a fork of gcc rather than depend on a tarball to apply on
> top of?  Currently the auto-testers are using this snapshot:
> 4.9-20131201.

The GCC sources are quite big, even bigger as a git repo with history
so I'd like to keep the GDC sources separated (this way it's also easier
to see GDC changes vs normal GCC code).

But I understand that it's probably quite annoying for you to update
the snapshots manually.

How about this: We add a gcc.json file to the root folder in the git
repository (for every branch). gcc.json would look like this:
{
    "base-version":"4.9",
    "snapshot": "20131201"
}

If snapshot is present and non-empty a snapshot has to be used.
Otherwise all stable releases should work, e.g.
{
    "base-version":"4.8",
    "snapshot": ""
}

would work with 4.8.0, 4.8.1, 4.8.2, ...
We then sync the snapshot field in gcc.json to the snapshot we're
using locally.