master branch broken

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Mon Mar 24 02:23:43 PDT 2014

On 24 March 2014 08:27, Johannes Pfau <nospam at example.com> wrote:
> Am Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:58:01 -0700
> schrieb Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com>:
>
>> I'm not at all concerned about space, and not sure why most
>> developers would be.  Assuming that the GDC changes were done on a
>> non-master branch, and that master reflects the GCC master, then
>> seeing what the GDC changes are would be a typical git operation: git
>> diff master..GDC.
>
> It's not really space, it's the time needed for a git clone. Cloning gdc
> already takes 12 min here. Cloning the gcc repo takes 4 hours and 50
> min. I end up cloning gdc more often than I like (testing build
> scripts, testing gdc on new machines, ...)

If it's taking that long, you can just switch to git+ssh cloning.
That's what I did when I push up my gdb mirror (took about 3 hours for
the initial push after endless timeout+retries with http).

> Also linux distributions want to use GDC with the same GCC version they
> normally use. So if a distribution uses gcc-4.8.1 but our sources are
> gcc-4.8.2 only that'd be a problem. The current approach always works
> for all minor versions.

I don't think that would be a problem.  Or at least I've never had to
change anything testing minor releases.