Help me get GDC as a syntax checker option for Flycheck

Koz Ross via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 15 05:39:52 PST 2014

First-off, I would like to thank everyone who made GDC - as a
supporter of free software, it's good to have a compiler that
doesn't have a proprietary back-end for a language I like as much
as D.

Now, I'm an avid Emacs user, and as part of that, I use Flycheck
for syntax checking. The default syntax checker for Flycheck
(which relies on external programs) is DMD. Not being happy with
this state of affairs, I decided to write some Elisp to allow GDC
to be used instead, and I'm happy to say that it works.

Obviously, in the spirit of sharing and helping others, I would
like my checker code to be included into Flycheck. However, the
maintainer of Flycheck basically said that, unless given concrete
reasons *other* than licensing, he would not include it.

Now, I'm not too familiar with the linting/error reporting
capabilities of GDC as opposed to DMD, and would like some help
in this regard. If any of you could tell me any benefits to
linting, error-checking or anything similar in GDC as opposed to
DMD, I would be very grateful, and it would help support a free
software compiler in a very good Emacs package.

Thank you in advance.