Setting up a development environment for hacking GDC

ketmar via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 12 02:07:00 PDT 2014

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 00:29:32 +0000
"Mike via D.gnu" <d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering, if some of you that do development on GDC could
> briefly describe how you set up your development environment.
for me, this is a set of ugly-loking scripts which basically does what
wiki told me about building gdc. i.e. i created "workdir", copied the
whole gdc dir there (with git info), unpacked gcc there, created
"objdir" to build out-of-tree and so on. then i built gdc and installed
it in /opt/gdc. i also patched out building g++ compiler.

now if i changed something, i'm just doing 'make' in "objdir" and it is
reasonably fast. i can also invoke 'make' in various subdirs (i.e. in
phobos subdir, for example).

if i need to test the whole thing, i'm just doing 'make install', it's
not that slow too.

it's kinda lame, but it works for me.