D as first class language in the gcc milestones ?

Ledd via D.gnu d.gnu at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 28 01:44:20 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 27 September 2014 at 12:12:08 UTC, ketmar via D.gnu
wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 11:47:33 +0000
> "Ledd via D.gnu" <d.gnu at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think that the gcc team is slow on releasing new
>> releases and patches
> they are much slower than D team.
>
>> I think that on one hand it's true that D is currently a
>> rapidly-changing language, but this also prevents a gain in
>> popularity, no one wants to adopt a non-standard language that
>> is constantly mutating for production code.
> at least three companies already adopted D: Facebook,
> Sociomantic
> and... sorry, i forgot the third. so your "no one" is a slight
> exaggeration. ;-)
>
>> My assumption is that D needs to freeze at some point .
> ahem... we already have C++. ;-) it's not frozen, but it's
> legacy turned
> it to abomination.
>
> i believe that shipping old D in distributives will harm D more
> than
> not shipping at all. people will write new code using obsolete
> features, fight with already-fixed bugs, and so on. being
> independent of
> GCC allow to avoid such problems, 'cause maintainer can build
> new
> package when new GDC is out. but if GDC will be the part of
> GCC, no
> updates will ship until new GCC is out, 'cause GDC release
> cycle will be
> dependent of GCC release cycle.
>
> i once dreamt about GDC as part of GCC, but i changed my mind.

3 companies is a good start, but let me outline the fact that not
all the companies have the amount of people that Facebook has,
many many dev teams are composed of 3-4 people and there are an
indefinite amount of freelancer, I don't think that Facebook is a
good unit of comparison given this facts .
Also Facebook finds the resources and the time to build its own
version of PHP, I think that it's safe to say that they can even
afford to experiment with this kind of technologies .

My point being that for the majority of people, the ones that
work on open source projects, large projects, productions for the
masses, a stable language and a predictable release cycle, is
more valuable then a cutting-edge feature-reach language .